Invited speaker at small specialist workshops at which all sessions were plenaries:
- Language shift revisited, in the South Africa-India: Reimagining the Disciplines workshop at Wits University, 19-21st May 2006.
- Antideletions and complexity theory, with special reference to Black South African English, Complexity theory workshop, University of Freiburg. May 2008.
- English in ethnicity: the conversational historical be + -ing present in South African Indian English. Workshop on English as a Contact language, University of Zurich. June 2010.
- How non-Indo-European is Fanakalo pidgin? Workshop on Non-Indo-European Pidgins & Creoles, University of Newcastle. June 2010.
- English in India and South Africa: Comparisons, Commonalities, Contrasts. Workshop on India-South Africa: Comparisons, Commonalities, Contrasts. 5-7 October, 2012.
Invited public lectures:
- ‘Languages and language planning in South Africa’. Final Oliver Tambo Memorial Annual Lecture to Ireland-South Africa group (previously known as the Irish Anti-Apartheid Movement’), Dublin, 2004.
- Lectures in Cape Town to The English Association, The Cape Town Festival, District Six Museum, The Owl Club, Rotary Club, 1990 to 2012.
- Public talks in Durban at Ike’s Bookstore on language in KwaZulu-Natal. 2004, 2007.
- Franschoek Literary Festival, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013.